Monday, September 28, 2009

Typhoon Ondoy, September 26,2009

3:51 AM

This is a re-post. I  feel the need to post this one. Shame on those looters!






Marikina was probably the hardest hit by the storm. According to the security guards in the nearby establishment, they have been calling the authorities for help with the woman's body. I could sense exasperation in their voices. It is understandable I told them, rescue efforts are concentrated on saving the living right now.

A lot of people tried to cross the bridge at the height of the floods yesterday. Could she be among those who dared? Or was she just trying to flee the rising waters? All that I can tell she has a small backpack with her which covered her face.

While I was photographing this a bunch of teenagers were concerned about being on camera so I avoided including them in the frame. Apparently I was inexperienced or just too trusting, as I got in the distance in the muddy highway interchange, the younger kids ran after me and told me that the woman was now being looted of her personnal belongings. I heard the guard blowing his whistle from the nearby elevated walk way. There was nothing I could do as the looters started scampering away.

I felt disturbed by the looing incident, I told the security guard what happened. Manong guard commented that a lot of people are hungry though it may be wrong but maybe from their point of view, the woman won't be needing her stuff anymore........

While I was shooting this I did not feel anything but the thought of documenting this moment. I did not have a wide angle lens ( as it was undergoing repairs ) for my digital SLR, so I took some shots as well with my film camera. Strange when I was changing the roll of film I couldn't get the film into the sprocket....

It's so muddy no one would think this is a highway interchange....

By: REMBCC
http://www.flickr.com/people/rembcc/All Credits is given to the author REMBCC whose link is provided above.


0 Responses to “Typhoon Ondoy, September 26,2009”